Why the name ‘Tollhouse’?

The name ‘Tollhouse’ aims to reflect St Clears sense of place. Between 1839 and 1844, a group of welsh farmers dressed in women’s clothes and referring to themselves as ‘Rebecca and her daughters’,  destroyed toll gates within St Clears and neighbouring areas of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire.  They were protesting against the high toll rates that, at that time, they were obliged to pay to use local roads.  Toll houses, which were sited directly next to toll gates, were also attacked and destroyed during this period.
Fittingly, the Snack Bar is situated next to a wooden sculpture of a toll gate and rioters, which now stands in memory of this significant part of St Clears and Welsh history.